Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Taglish forever

Globalization has indeed swept the world by storm. With the advent of the internet, it is even inevitable for us not to have interaction with people from different countries. I, for one, has friends in USA and in Thailand (we are friends in facebook, but they don't know me at all). And so, we have come to realize that clinging to our own comfort zone and insisting that we should only speak in Filipino (my native language) is bullshit. You'll definitely become a loser, and that's it... What's worse, is the birth of TAGLISH, the offspring of the expressive Tagalog, and the straight-forward English. People would even persecute these people for sounding weird and inappropriately sophisticated.

E ANO NGAYON? Kung mas masaya ba mag-Taglish e. Perhaps, I am proud to say that I love speaking in appropriate Taglish. I've mentioned the word "appropriate" because I try to separate the two languages in different sentences. Yun lang naman ata ang problema ng iilan sa atin. Yung tipong sa iisang sentence, nag-iinterchange ang ingles at tagalog, yun bang ginagamit ng mga konyo. "O, where na you? Dito na me. Let's make inom-inom the kape, it's making less init na kasi with the aircon everywhere"... ampota, nakakainis. (excuse my french. I get over-excited). Ok lang naman yung pa-isa-isang salita tulad ng "sentence" o kaya "interchange" kasi ang hirap isalin sa English nun e. I believe that as long as the sentence is nice to hear, it's already fine. And the speaker must also remember that he/she must adjust to whoever he is speaking to. E paano kung hilaw na bangus yang kausap mo, ta-taglish-taglish ka, e di sinapak ka na nun diba?

I firmly believe that those who can speak Taglish in a good way are intelligent and talented individuals. They know the responsibility of using the complex language. Alam nila kung kelan gagamitin ang Tagalog at English. Alam nila kung ano ang pinagkaiba ng dalawa, at hindi yung pinaghahalo-halo lang.

But of course, as what I've said, we should be aware of the context of where we use language. Kung formal letter yan, syempre hindi pwede ang Taglish. Pero kung katulad lang naman nito, BLOG, o kaya naman comment sa facebook, ang arte naman ng dating mo kapag todo english ka sa comment, kung alam mo namang kapitbahay mo lang yung ini-i-stalk mo... o kaya naman parang ang makaluma kapag super tagalog ang comment mo. Try mo rin kaya magpaka-makata sa twitter, tignan natin kung magkasya yan sa 140 characters.

So why am I writing a blog about this? Somehow, as what I've said in my introductory paragraph, I have come to realize the importance of speaking in English in international site such as blogger. Yes, I do understand that when I use English as my mode of communication, more people will understand what I wanted to say. But at the same time, I've realized, what is the use of having a lot of people able to understand you, if you yourself cannot express your thoughts in its fullest potential? Siguro, kasalanan ko na rin na nagpa-alila ako sa kagandahan ng taglish. Pero tapos na yun e. I have already inculcated APPROPRIATE taglish as my medium for conversation. Gusto ko kasi sa blog, parang kinakausap mo lang yung readers mo. So I've decided that yes, in spite of the globalization ravaging the whole world, I intend to remain as what I used to be. English in one sentence, Tagalog in another... I guess that's just how it will be. At least the words can flow freely from my mind to my fingers... to the keyboard... to the screen... to the internet... to your screen... to your eyes... blah blah blah.

I'm sorry to say to my fans worldwide (if there are any) that I will be inserting tagalog statements every now and then in my blog. It puts my mind at ease, not thinking of having a perfectly english blog post.

Speak Taglish.
Be yourself.
Wehhhh.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Henri, thanks for this lovely post. I am doing research on Taglish for my masters in English Language and culture in Amsterdam. My main thesis is that I don't think that Taglish is just random code-switching.Also, I would like to find out how people feel about this variety. I would love to hear more from you about this topic. Would you mind filling out a questionnaire about this for me? It would only take a few minutes and I would be very grateful. Best, Patricia

    ReplyDelete